My Town
Close Panel

Information on Solid Fuel Burning Appliances

Category : Land & Property  Department / Board / Committee : Building Department  Type : Instructions


Items such as wood stoves, pellet stoves, coal stoves, corn and shell burning pellet stoves, wood-fired boilers, factory built fireplaces and other similar type heating sources fall under the umbrella of "Solid Fuel Burning Appliances".  These require their own Building Permit, even if being installed in a permitted addition or new building, and require separate inspections.  There are detailed requirements in the Massachusetts State Building Code regarding such devices, which go hand in hand with the manufacturers requirements to ensure these items are properly installed.  Remember, by installing a solid fuel burning appliance, you are bringing  FIRE INSIDE THE BUILDING ; safety is imperative.  Permit applications for Solid Fuel Burning Appliances can be found on the Building Departments Permit Applications page, and more information can be found here, from the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services.