My Town
Close Panel

Massachusetts Construction Supervisor License and Home Improvement Contractor Registration

Category : Land & Property Department / Board / Committee : Building Department Type : Instructions

A Construction Supervisor License (CSL) or Home Improvement Contractor Registration (HIC) is required for much of the work that necessitates a Building Permit. Click here for more information regarding Massachusetts CSL's and here for information about the HIC program. The previous page, "Additional Information and Resources" has documents relating to the different types of CSL's and what scopes of work/projects require a CSL or HIC.

The Town of Westwood recommends that licensed professionals be hired to perform the work covered by a Building Permit. There are protections in place for individuals who hire contractors with a CSL or HIC, which will not be available if unlicensed individuals are contracted, or the homeowner performs/supervises the work themselves.