indoor-water-use-conservation click on this link for tips from MassDCR
THESE TIPS WILL HELP YOU TO SAVE MONEY AS WELL AS WATER!
Cold Weather Tips-The DWWD would like to remind you of the following:
- Patch cracks and holes in doors, windows and walls to prevent cold air from reaching your pipes.
- Turn off all outside faucets and drain the pipes. Bring garden hoses inside.
- Insulate any pipes and faucets in unheated areas. Wrap insulation around pipes in crawl spaces, garages and basements.
- Never use an open flame to thaw frozen pipes. A hairdryer, set on low, can be waved slowly along frozen pipes. If the pipe has already cracked it will leak as the ice thaws. Be prepared for this. You may have to shut off the master valve where the water comes into your home.
- Do not leave a home unheated for an extended period of time unless you drain your pipes. Turning off the main valve will not prevent water already in the pipes from freezing. Have a friend or relative check your home while you are away
- Allow a slow trickle of water to flow through faucets connected to water pipes that run through unheated spaces.
Don't forget to check on any of your neighbors who may need additional assistance. If you are concerned about a neighbor of family member, contact the Westwood Police Department at 781-320-1000 (non-emergency) or call 911 in the event of an emergency.